The Coronavirus pandemic has affected human life all over the world, with falling stock prices and shutdowns all over the world; the health and economic sectors have taken a huge hit due to the virus. Similarly, the entertainment sector has also postponed most of its 2020 plans to try and stop the spread of the virus.
Many big-name films like the next Bond installment, No Time To Die, have postponed their release dates. In addition to this, many TV shows have also immediately stopped production for their shows.
Cases in China have seemed to drop off while Iran, Europe, and the USA are reporting a surge in the virus cases.
TV Shows Postponed By The Coronavirus
Some major shows have been canceled by their respective networks; in fact, most running shows have been canceled.
The list of some hit shows canceled shows is below:-
- The Walking Dead- The horror show has canceled production for around 3 to 4 weeks following the recent surge in COVID-19 cases all over the world.
- American Crime Story- Impeachment: The show set to follow the Impeachment and sex scandal of Bill Clinton has been set back due to the outbreak.
- Young Sheldon- The prequel to the Big Bang Theory and the origin story of Sheldon Cooper, this show has also pushed back its production schedule.
- Genius: Aretha- Nat Geo’s tribute to the queen of soul, Aretha Franklin, in the form of the Cynthia Erivo starring show, Genius: Aretha has also been stopped.
- Law & Order: SVU- Mariska Hargitay’s show in which Leland Orser, Yul Vazquez, Caleb McLaughlin, etc. have worked stopped production in 2020 to prevent the spread of the virus.
- Grey’s Anatomy- The Ellen Pompeo starring medical drama, sent out an email to stop the production of the show on March 12.
- The Price Is Right- Live audience members are an integral part of shows like The Price Is Right, and according to the show’s representative, the network has postponed the show without a fixed period of absence.
- America’s Got Talent- Another show in which live audiences are a staple, America’s Got Talent, also took measures to help control the spread of the virus. According to a statement by the show, “Due to the ongoing global situation around Covid-19, we have been working closely with our production teams and network partners to take measures to help minimize the risk of exposure to our cast, crew and live audiences.”
- The Morning Show: Jennifer Aniston and Reese Witherspoon’s hit news drama series also announced they would take a 2-week hiatus for the filming of the second season.
- Ellen: The popular talk show is also set to start filming without an audience and will cease production entirely if the virus is not controlled.
Other shows to halt production for the time being are Riverdale, Grace, and Frankie, The Amazing Race, Jimmy Kimmel Live, Lucifer, etc.
Movies Postponed Due To Coronavirus
Some major films were set to release in 2020 but have postponed their release dates due to the Coronavirus pandemic.
- Mulan- The film is the most expensive live-action remake by Disney and had a release date of March 9, but the film has been postponed and is awaiting a new release date as of March 15.
- Fast 9- John Cena stars in the latest installment of Fast And Furious series, but the film has pushed its release date almost a year back, in spring 2021.
- No Time to Die- After the release of Spectre, fans were anticipating the next installment of the Bond series, but the release date has been moved from April to November, meaning fans will have to wait to see the upcoming Bond flick whose writer is Phoebe Waller-Bridge.
- A Quiet Place Part II- The sequel to John Krasinski and Emily Blunt starrer A Quiet Place was also a highly anticipated film to be released in 2020, but the director Krasinski announced on his Instagram that they would release the film later that the set date.
- The Batman- Matt Reeve's DC Films was in production in 2020, but on March 14, Warner Bros announced that they would halt the production of the Robert Pattinson starrer.
Will Movies Move From Theater To Streaming Services?
As the Coronavirus outbreak becomes more serious in spring 2020, audiences have speculated that films and movies will be released on streaming platforms.
While most movies have hoped to get a theater release, they might also shift to online streaming services.