As the world evolves, many medications are also changing. Similarly, people have also found new, easy, and simple ways to deal with one of the major issues of the current era: Anxiety and Depression.
Many with anxiety and depression feel pitiable and helpless in those situations and often feel discomfort to consult their doctors. To overcome the nightmare, there are a lot of natural and simple ways.
'Keep it simple and feel free to express' is one of the broad slogans to confront anxiety disorders and depression, and eventually leaping ahead of such conditions.
Surely, anyone undergoing struggle might feel themselves with a heavy burden, but also, it's a fact that you are not alone. According to stats, 18.1% of the population (aged 18 or above) every year are affected with mental illness while the worldwide stats, as per WHO, states 1 in 13 globally suffers from anxiety.
Slight Difference Between Anxiety And Depression
While anxiety disorder and depression are often discussed a single term in generalized talks, but in the medical conditions, each of them differs. Anxiety is a disorder when an individual feels intense, excessive, and persistent worry or fear about every situation, while depression is a prolonged feeling of sadness and loss of interest.
The symptoms and measures of their improvement often overlap, though, the severe effects of depression can go a long way compared to anxiety.
Types And Symptoms of Anxiety
Anxiety is of different types that come within criteria while some are unspecified. Some of the commonly experienced stress are:
- Panic Disorder- It is a condition when one suffering from anxiety gets panic attacks in a matter of seconds, meaning, an individual experiences an intense feeling of fear resulting in shortness in-breath and an increase in heartbeat.
- Social Phobia- People with social phobia feel of being negatively judged or concerned, leading embarrassment and unattachment in society.
- Selective mutism- Some of us have seen children with discomfort while speaking with certain situations like schools or in a mass, but are fine while with family or friends.
- Separation anxiety disorder- It is a disorder of fear to lose someone close, which developed with the trauma of separation with parents or guardians.
- Anxiety disorder due to a medical condition- Some with physical health problems are also related to anxiety.
- Feeling nervous and restless
- Feeling weak or tired
- Over worrying about situations
- Panic Attacks
Types & Symptoms Of Depression
- Dysthymia- It is a condition when an individual feels a persistent low mood over a long time.
- Atypical Depression- In the state of such depression, when one is prone to overeating and oversleeping and often feels irritability.
- Bipolar Disorder- An alternation in the mood: mania and depressive is seen in the person with bipolar disorder.
- Psychotic Depression- While undergoing depression, some might feel hallucinations or delusions, which is called Psychotic depression in medical terms.
- Feeling emptiness, sadness, and hopeless
- Insomnia & restlessness and also oversleeping
- Lack of interest and energy in activities
- Frustration and self-destruction
How To Treat Anxiety And Depression Naturally?
Admittedly, many people undergoing anxiety and depression tend to consult a psychiatrist and attend therapy sessions for their treatment. Of course, who would take chances for mental health?
Despite these facts, there is also a natural and utterly self-based remedy to overcome those distressing moments too. Along with medications through antidepressants, a person suffering from anxiety and depression can take steps from within in a natural way.
Here are some tips:
1. Motivating Self- We all have problems in life, don't we? Ever wondered about the success stories of successful people? Not all are blessed by birth; they worked hard and achieved it, so why not us? Yeah, the change now begins within ourselves.
First of all, it starts with time-management to make ourselves happy & free. So, routine and time-management come first.
2. Action For Your Goal: If you tired something & it didn't happen at an instance, no need to worry. The miracle occurs for those who try. Stick firm on your goals and try working hard on it. And eventually, success will come up at your doors. How blissful would it be to enjoy those broaden smiles of accomplishment?
Psychology says an achievement, even if it's a small one, is a gateway to happiness and an inspiration to bigger. Take a step-by-step move to your goals.
3. Exercise And Meditation: Calmness is a major factor in overcoming anxiety and depression. Probably, at first, you might feel difficult to focus, but with the practice of yoga and meditation, everything goes fine by the time.
Specialists recommend breathing exercises, and meditation is boon for sound mind and calm. Practice a daily inhale & exhale breathing yoga for 5 minutes & gradually increase the duration & a change in self is observed.
Moreover, physical exercise aids in mental health as well, regulates blood flow, and keeps body healthy and refreshed.
4. Be Social And Share Your Feelings: If someone feels anxious and depressed, it's the best idea to stay social and be around with your loved and trustworthy ones. Also, sharing feelings & thoughts to someone you trust helps to reduce the stress and even more, get aid to tackle the battle within.
5. Engage In Social Activities: Helping someone gives relief and happiness in the heart, so being active in social activity is indeed a way to make self-satisfied and happy. A small change in someone's life can uplift them & you will be an inspiration for their changed life, how great will it feel like?
6. Healthy Diets: To benefit mental health, the diet of a person also plays a vital role. Healthy diets often tend to lead a healthy lifestyle and help to stand immune to many physical problems, which would eventually become a cover-up to stay a positive life.
7. Early To Bed And Early To Rise: Surely, many of us have heard the early-bed and early-rise phrase as a child. The practice of such habits helps to improve mental health and makes a mind refreshed and also avoids interaction with dirty thoughts too.
Celebrities Who Battled And Overcame Depression
"There are many things that seem impossible only so long as one does not attempt them."
André Gide, surely, is an inspiration to all.
No Hollywood celebrities are immune to mental health, and here are some who fought against depression and also won back.
J.K. Rowling- The author of the best-selling Harry Potter series once battled depression before she started writing. Her divorce left her devasted with her infant daughter that led to severe mental health trauma & reportedly had suicidal thoughts.
Later, she consulted with her doctor and underwent cognitive behavioral therapy that gradually took her out of depression.
Rosie O’Donnell- An American comedian Rosie O’Donnell, famous for Star Search, went into depression in 1999 following the Columbine High School shootings. To tackle her depression symptoms, O'Donnell took medications and practiced inversion therapy and currently is on the progress.
Brooke Shields- In 2005, Brook Shields, an American actress and model talked about her postpartum depression during her interview in The Oprah Winfrey Show and even wrote a book about her experience Down Came the Rain: My Journey Through Postpartum Depression. She took antidepressants and took weekly therapy sessions.
Brad Pitt- Despite being such a huge figure in Hollywood, the millionaire actor Brad Pitt once had an encounter with depression after he witnessed poverty and miserable condition in Morocco and Yugoslavia. Rather than medications, Pitt involved in non-profit organizations and overcame depression after focusing on humanitarian works.